Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Pleasure of Promoting Heart Health

I am so humbled by the opportunities I have been blessed with this year which have allowed me to amplify my voice in the fight against heart disease.  This month the article I wrote about my dad's journey to break his smoking habit and become heart healthy was published in "Memphis Health and Fitness Magazine."  I have been reading this wonderful publication for years, and I am honored to have the opportunity to spread the message that it is never too late to improve your heart health and save your life.  You can read the article by clicking on the link below.  Way to go Daddy!  I'm so proud of you.


Also, this week I was asked to become the American Heart Association's My Life Check Chairperson for the Greater Southeast Affiliate.  My Life Check.org is such a useful tool in the fight against heart disease and stroke, and I am excited to be able to reach audiences throughout the Southeastern United States, sharing my dad's story and encouraging people to take the My Life Check Assessment to determine the state of their heart health and what they can do to reduce their risk of heart disease.  I am honored to have been given this responsibility, and I am excited about my continued partership with the American Heart Association, its Go Red for Women Initiative, and My Life Check.  Please take a few minutes to visit My Life Check at the address provided below.           


Finally, due to the terrible flooding in the Mid South recently, the Memphis Area Go Red for Women Girls' Night Out, originally scheduled for May 10, 2011, has been rescheduled for June 6, 2011.  My Executive Leadership Team has raised over $230,000.00 for Go Red to date this year, and the event on June 6 is going to be incredible.  As Mrs. Tennessee International, I will have my own table at the event which I will be honored to share with my husband, mom, and eight friends.  I will also be a featured model in the Macy's Go Red Fashion Show which will take place during the event.  My team has worked hard, and we are looking quite forward to celebrating the exciting strides being made towards eradicating heart disease at our Go Red for Women Girls' Night Out on June 6!

I want to sincerely thank the Memphis Area Go Red for Women Chapter and the American Heart Association's Greater Southeast Affiliate for continuing to trust and believe in me and my passion to fight heart disease.  We have a wonderful partnership, and I look forward to working together for years to come. 

God Bless,
Mary-Marsha Riley
Mrs. Tennessee International 2011  

No comments:

Post a Comment